Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Boneless Chuck Beef Roast - Historical

Boneless Chuck Beef Roast
October 15, 2009. I know it seems like just yesterday when I cooked, and failed, but salvaged, the pork roast... but today's cooking assignment is a Boneless Chuck
Beef Roast, about 5 pounds and a beautiful slab of beef on a great sale at Ralphs (known as Kroger, generically).

Preheat your oven to 450 degrees.
Rub the roast on all sides with salt, pepper and granulated garlic.
In your favorite dutch oven, heat oil, then brown the roast on all sides.
Chuck Roast Browning

Remove the roast but keep the oil on - adding in chopped fresh garlic, a small onion, chopped, and a few stalks of
celery, chopped. Sautee until the onion starts to carmelize.
Browned Roast sitting next to saute'ing onions and garlic
Saute Close Up

Add in about a cup of good red wine (remember, if you're not willing to drink the wine,
then you have no business cooking with it. Besides, you're not going to use very much of the bottle,
so you are going to HAVE to drink the rest.) I chose a Yellow Tail Shiraz/Cabernet blend from Australia.
Simmer to reduce the wine and onion/garlic/celery, and be sure to use your spoon to gather all that great char
from browing that accumulates on the sides of the pan.
Braising Base

Gently place the roast on top of the braising base (that's the wine and onion/garlic/celery for those of you
not familiar with the finer cooking terms).
Gently Rested

Now fill in all the holes and eventually cover the roast with quartered potatos, a few small whole onions (peeled)
and several carrots cut in half or thirds, depending on how big those carrots are.
The rest of the Pot contents
Pot Full, and the Roast is hidden underneath

Cover with a tight sealing lid (your favorite dutch oven should have come with one, otherwise, it should not be
your favorite dutch oven) and place in the oven, just a tad below the center rack.
Pot to the Oven. THIS is my favorite Dutch Oven - you can see why, can't you

Set your timer for 10 minutes, or go out for 2 smokes on the balcony. Then reduce the oven temperature to
250 degrees.
Ignore for 5 hours.

Now, I know 5 hours at 200 wasn't enough for my huge pork roast, so that's why I upped it to 250 - if your oven
temperature is true (ours isn't) you might want to reduce the oven to 225. Play with it, I am.

I'll report back when it's time to eat - hopefully in six hours (I'm allowing for resting time and time to fix the salad)

1 comment:

  1. I cut and paste this from an earlier FB post - and I'm sorry, but I couldn't figure out how to edit it so it didn't cut off at the edges. This is a learning process, trust me.

    ReplyDelete