Sunday, June 13, 2010

Ham Fried Rice


Remember when we made that Ham - at Easter?.... I hope you put the extras in the freezer, because now we're going to use the left overs in our Ham Fried Rice. I'm really sorry that I don't have any measured amounts for you - you just have to wing it.

I cheated and bought a little package of pre-chopped Trader Joe's onions, shallots and garlic.

I also chopped some celery and green scallions, and I diced the ham.



In a large frying pan, sautee your Trader Joe's veggies - I used mostly canola oil and a splash of "stir fry oil" (also known as sesame oil).
When the onions have just started to brown, add your chopped ham. Next, add in the rice. I've found it best to use rice that is at least one day old - even 2 or 3 days old. So when you're making rice for another meal, make extra and put it aside for your future Fried Rice meal.

Season with Nam Pla - Fish Sauce - you can find it at Asian markets, and possibly at grocery stores with larger Asian food sections. Basically it's water that has had fish soaking in it forever, and then the fish pieces are strained out and I'm sure it's processed and treated so you won't die when you use it in cooking. It's very salty and has a pungent odor to it - I know, makes it sound real appetizing, right? Don't use too much, or it will overwhelm the rice. Also season with Soy Sauce - to taste.

After it's all mixed up and good and fried,push the rice over to one side of the pan and crack an egg or two (depending on the size of your fried rice) on the other side - scramble it up first, and after it's cooked - mix it in with the fried rice.


Squeeze a bit of lime over the rice, and toss in sliced green scallions - for color and texture.



To be authentic "Thai" fried rice, you must serve the rice with a slice of cucumber on the side.


YUMMY!






No comments:

Post a Comment