Sunday, June 19, 2011

Tuna Helper for the Lazy Cook - Dad's Favorite?

That's right, Tuna Helper, and why not?. Here's how this came about. We had just returned home from our trip to Hawaii (See November 2010 related post) and being tired and hungry, I didn't want to fuss with anything too difficult or time consuming to make. I also had to deal with what was in the pantry - as I hadn't been to the store for nearly two weeks (except a quick run to Trader Joe's for fresh salad fixings).

This is why you should have something standard like Tuna Helper and canned tuna fish in your pantry. I realize this post is eerily similar to my "Spaghetti in a Box" post from a year and a half ago - but I wanted to give you a new option, and cover my bases for those readers who don't want to access the archive index.

Here's what you need:
1 Box Tuna Helper
2 Cans Tuna Fish Milk, Water and Butter (all according to box directions)

And how does one make Tuna Helper? Duh - follow the instructions on the back of the box.

I need not repeat the directions here, but I will tell you that at the same time that I added the canned and drained tuna fish, I added a can of chopped mushrooms stems and caps (also drained).

You basically melt the butter in the water and milk with the seasoning package, then stir in the noodles and tuna (and optional mushrooms), bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer until done.

The sauce will thicken as it simmers, and then it thickens even more after you take it off the heat and let it sit.

To compensate for the additives and preservatives that are in pre-packaged food, I suggest that you serve a simple, healthy side salad with your bowl of yummy and delicious Tuna Casserole.

1 comment:

  1. My favorite is the opening picture. As if you're saying "What?! You were expecting something gourmet? Sorry but this is it baby." Too funny.

    ReplyDelete