Sunday, July 31, 2011

Hava Martini

Irrelevant blabber: On one of my gymnastics blogs that I follow, I use a profile that lists my name as "Hava Martini" - it's kind of like a drag name - you know, like "Orna Mint," "Della Catesson," "Candie Wrapper," "Anita Cocktail,"and such. Well, today, instead of a happy hour bloody mary, we decided it was a good time to enjoy a martini - as in just "Hava Martini!"

I know that in this day and age you young folks think that "martini" can include all sorts of vodka concoctures with flavors and infusions and fruits and flavorings - but you would be wrong. "Martini" by it's very definition from the old days - is GIN. Dry, up, stirred or shaken - but GIN. If you have the audacity to order a "vodka martini" you should have to specify "vodka (imposter) martini."

I had picked up a new variety of gin on sale at the BevMo - a discount liquor store here in LA - "Indigo, by Larius" imported from Spain. We decided to try it out this afternoon. It made a very smooth martini, if lacking a bit in the juniper flavor that one comes to expect from a martini (notice how I didn't have to specify "gin" because martini means gin!)


Set out your favorite martini glasses; grab the garlic-stuffed olives and skewer two per toothpick and place in your glasses (if you have time, you can put your glasses in the freezer for a bit before the cocktail hour - for an extra chilled beverage).


Put ice in your shaker; add gin, just a wee-tad of vermouth, cover and shake.



Pour into your glasses, and ENJOY.




One caveat - the first time I used a martini shaker, I had a little incident. The shaker consists of 3 parts - the cup, the strainer, and the lid. You put the strainer on the cup, then the lid on the strainer, to shake. You remove the lid to pour through the strainer (pouring the iced-gin into the glass, sans the ice). The first time I tried this (years ago), I neglected to hold onto the strainer portion, and it came off - smashing into my martini glass - shattering the glass and pouring a delicious martini all over the counter. Needless to say - I only had to learn that lesson once!

1 comment:

  1. Sorry Scott, but I say gin martinis take like a pine tree. Give me a chocolate martini (or 3 or 4) any day! Yummmmy

    ReplyDelete