Sunday, July 15, 2012

Zucchini Breakfast Bake

Joerg offered to bring some "squash" to our weekly Saturday breakfast gathering, so I was looking forward to a couple of squash from his garden.  Imagine my surprise when he handed us two huge bags of zucchini and yellow squash.  Apparently the Baker Ranch had company who brought an entire farm's worth of produce.  Of course I want to make some zucchini bread, but I also wanted to discover other ways to utilize this crop.    My "Where's Mom Now That I Need Her" cookbook - a silly collection of Mormon recipes published in Sandy, Utah in 1983 -
offered a Zucchini Bake recipe.
I decided THAT'S what I would have for breakfast this morning.

Here's the list of ingredients (as modified a bit by Gourmet Gibbs):

2 Zucchini Squash - peeled and cubed.
3 Eggs
1/4 cup Half and Half
1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
1 Teaspoon Salt
1 Teaspoon Pepper
2 Tablespoons Flour
1 Cup Shredded Cheese
1 small Onion - diced
1 half Orange Bell Pepper - diced
(you really could use any color of pepper - Orange is just what I had in the fridge.)

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

Cook the diced zucchini until almost tender.  I find the best way to do this is put the zucchini in a microwave safe bowl, sprinkle a little water over it and cover with plastic wrap.  Microwave for 2 minutes or so; then pour out on a paper towel to drain excess water.

Dice the onion and bell pepper - set aside.


In a large bowl, whisk together the Half and Half, Egg, Baking Powder, Salt, Pepper and Flour.  Then stir in the cheese.





Next fold in the zucchini, onion and bell pepper.














Bake in a greased casserole dish (I recommend PAM cooking spray) for 30 minutes covered, and another 10 minutes uncovered.


Remove from the oven and let stand for 10 minutes before serving.









2 Zucchinis down - 20 to go!  I think we're going to be sick of zucchini after this weekend.




No comments:

Post a Comment