Sunday, May 23, 2010

TOSTACOS - a World Premiere Creation

I would like to introduce you to a new taste sensation - the TOSTACO. It's my own cross between a tostada and a taco. It was discovered by accident, and if it shows up on one of those trendy foodie truck menus, I expect FULL CREDIT, and royalties. For you blog followers, however, I offer it here to you, gratis.

I wanted to make something quick for dinner and use items I had on hand - so I settled on tostadas. I also wanted to include a salad, but didn't really want to go to the bother of tossing a salad - and suddenly - VIOLA - the creation of the Tostaco!

Toast a flour tortilla in your toaster oven - watch it so it doesn't get too dark. Repeat for as many Tostacos as you want to make (we found that three total between two of us was sufficient, and left us wanting more, but not overly stuffed). Spread a thin layer of re fried beans on the "inside" half of the tortilla (that's the side that was folded over in the "pop up" toaster oven). Gently place the flat tortilla on a baking sheet (wasteful I know, but I use foil for easy clean up); then spread cheddar and cheddar jack cheese on top of the beans.

Next chop scallions and jalapenos (the slices in a jar or a can) and spread those over the tostadas - at this point in the process, these are still tostadas in the traditional sense.
Put the tray of tostadas in an oven, preheated to 350 or 375 degrees, and bake until the cheese melts and it looks all ooey gooey delicious.



While they're baking, halve your cherry tomatoes, and shred some lettuce - I used Romaine and just sliced it into thin strips, but you could certainly use Iceberg if that's your preference.

Now it's time to turn your "could-have-been-basic-tostadas" into the soon to be taste sensation "TOSTACOS!"

Sprinkle the lettuce and tomatoes over half of the tostadas; gently fold the tostada in half and remove to your serving plate.



It's a delicious tostada, that is folded and eaten like a taco, so what else would it be but a TOSTACO.
Enjoy.

1 comment: