Sunday, August 8, 2010

Bea's Banana Nut Bread

I'm very particular about my bananas - and when the get even the slightest past "ripe" - I consider them inedible and too mushy - PERFECT for Bea's Banana Nut Bread. The recipe is actually from the "Better Homes and Gardens - New Cook Book" - but Brian's the one who always makes banana nut bread at our house, so it's Bea's BNB.
Here's what you'll need: (and I doubled it so I could make two loaves)

1 and 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 and 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup butter
2 eggs
2 tablespoons milk
1 cup mashed ripe banana
1/4 cup chopped nuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.


In your mixer (and here's where I'll share a little secret with you - I wanted to find a recipe that didn't require a mixer, and they ARE out there, but Bea said that he always uses the mixer, and if this was going to be called "Bea's Banana Nut Bread" - I needed to make it the way he does - so I did.)
In the mixer bowl beat sugar and butter till light, scraping sides of the bowl often. Add eggs, one at a time, and the mik, beating till smooth after each addition. Add flour mixture and banana alternately to creamed mixture, beating till smooth after each addition.

Fold in chopped nuts.

Turn batter into a lightly greased loaf pan. Bake in 350 degree oven for 60 to 65 minutes, or till wooden toothpick inserted near center comes out clean (this was about 45 - 50 minutes for me!)

Cool in pan 10 minutes, then remove from pan and cool completely. Wrap and store overnight.



Enjoy the next morning for breakfast, with juice, bacon, coffee and a hard boiled egg. Oh, didn't I mention how to boil an egg?

2 comments:

  1. OK. I just love that bacon is the largest portion on that plate. It makes me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI!!! So Becky was busy all day and I decided that I was going to give this bread a whirl...I am semi-challenged as a chef and have NEVER baked anything that didn't come from a box:( sad yes I know this. However preparing this recipe was such a blast...I took pics too:) it is in the oven and will be ready in about 10 more minutes and it smells so amazing...I can’t wait to try it:) Thanks for helping!!!!

    ReplyDelete