Sunday, August 1, 2010

Grilled Tuna Melt Sandwiches

Who doesn't love a tuna salad sandwich? And who doesn't love a grilled cheese sandwich? So why not combine the two and make Grilled Tuna Melt sandwiches at home? It's quick, it's easy, and it's DELICIOUS.

I neglected to take photos of the tuna salad preparation, but come on, you all know how to make tuna salad. Drain one 7 ounce can on white solid tuna; chop one stalk celery, two or three scallions, and one medium dill pickle.

In a small glass bowl mix the tuna, celery, scallions, pickle and a scoop or two of mayonnaise (depending on how mayo-ey you want your tuna salad - since we're going to grill these, I recommend a bit less mayo than you might use on your afternoon sandwich), lightly seasoned with salt and pepper to taste. I've found this is just the right amount of tuna salad to make three sandwiches.


I prefer sourdough bread for my grilled sandwiches, but usually have some 7 or 12 grain bread readily on hand in the kitchen, and that's what I used this time. The secret to these sandwiches is in the construction (which I just recently learned from my mother). Using room temperature butter (or some butter substitute is you insist on being healthier), lightly spread butter on the grilling side of each piece of bread. Now here's the construction trick - put the two slices of bread together, butter side to butter side, for each sandwich. This process lets you layer the sandwich fixin's, without getting butter all over your hands - and you know what I'm talking about.
First lay a slice of cheese on the top slice of bread. I suggest Swiss cheese for Tuna Melts. Then spread a modest amount of tuna salad on top of the cheese. Next, top with another slice of cheese.
Carefully peel the "loaded" slice of bread from the bottom slice, and place on a heated griddle, medium low heat. Then flip the bottom slice, and place on top of the slice on the griddle, butter side up. Let your sandwich grill for a few minutes - checking if you must to ensure that your griddle isn't so hot that it burns the butter before the cheese gets a chance to melt.
When the first side is a nice, delicious-looking golden brown, turn the sandwich and brown the other side. Meanwhile, the heat will soak through to the Swiss cheese to melt it and make it all gooey and yummy.

Remove the sandwiches from the griddle, let sit a few minutes on your cutting board (so the cheese doesn't completely ooze out), then slice in half. Enjoy one, two, or even three halves of a sandwich for dinner.
I recommend a simple salad as the appropriate accompaniment to this meal.

7 comments:

  1. Sometimes when you place the two buttered sides together, the butter "globs" together and you get some transferring from one piece to the other. So I butter one piece only, turn it over onto the other slice, load the cheese/tuna, place it into the pan, then butter the other slice (which may have a little butter from the first slice) and place on top.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another idea is to mix some grated or shredded parmesan cheese into the butter before you spread it on the bread. This adds extra flavor and crunchiness to the outside. I think I saw Paula Deen do this (which sounds like something she would do).

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you want to add something like tomato slices or fresh basil leaves to your grilled cheese sandwich, but don’t want them to be cooked, usually you have to pry the sides apart to add it and get molten cheese everywhere. Instead, grill your sandwiches open-face style with a slice of cheese on each side. When the bread is toasted and the cheese is melted, place the tomatoes on one side, then plop the other slice of bread and cheese on top. There you have it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great comments Anonymous - thanks for sharing. However, as to the tomato suggestion - I DO NOT LIKE tomatos on my sandwiches - hot or cold. I love tomatos - but not on sandwiches (BLT - excepted).

    ReplyDelete
  5. cocktailflag... who cares if you do or don't like tomatoes on your sandwiches. It was just a suggestion, and a good one at that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, Cocktail, don't take it so personally. Everyone reads the suggestions, so they're for us, too. (Great idea, Anonymous, but I don't like tomatoes. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I put my butter in the pan to melt after I've built my ingredients on one slice of bread. I then place that on the melted butter, giving it a spin or two for even coating. I then butter the remaining bread slice & place that on top of the prepared slice already in the pan.

    ReplyDelete